|  Home  |  Navigator  |  Writings  |  Photographs  |  Blogroller  |  The Tall Guy 2   |  

Wednesday 2 April 2008

The JPA Scholarship Interview Experience

It all happened so fast and now the interview is OVER!!! Phew...

Well, really gotta thank God for making it a memorable and exciting and really fun experience. Thank you everyone for praying for me too...especially Sarah Chong, Ei Leen, Sarah Loke, Chek Ming, Daniel Oon and all the RBS Friends and Staff.... and my dad too.

Preparation was okay, as systematic as possible, definitely learnt a lot on backup and plan B from RBS mission trip and the church magazine design stuff. But the big day was to come eventually... I did not have much hope after emoing my BC during the SPM result release day. But no emoing after I saw how my parents and grandmothers and other relatives so proud of me. And God too, for He glorified when SABS got 100% A1 on Bible Knowledge beating all other subjects. He's great!

Anyway, just the afternoon after results was released, I terus go for that JPA E-sila portal. There was quite a lot of things to fill. And a lot of chatting on for scholarships. And go the days of filling up forms and application...till 28 March...the Friday midnite...

Mr Ji Hong, as usual as his peculiarities...GO CHECK JPA RESULTS NOW...he was like shouting (although he didn't). My fingers went numb. I was chatting with Jyo Lyn... I typed "assword" instead of password....(that was a rude thing that I accidentally made...but placed here for your laughter)... then I went to the site,  type in my IC number...type in my password (which wasn't "PASSWORD" as you might have thought)... and they asked for IC again...then a click away the moment of truth... I GOT TO GO THE INTERVIEW...I was like jumping but then fell into the deepest fear....oh no... everyone seems to be getting...what are my chances... i heard half of the interviewees get eliminated....or TERMINATED...

THE LETTER...of hope and fear mixed

Gratefully, there was friends who comfort me and I was the calm Calvin again....Thanks again dearest friends...and papa and mama...

I know you all are anxious to know what happen the last hour....and I lazy to type the preparations and running around signing certs.

1.30 pm....I arrive at the Wisma Belia all dressed for action...many people send their "last words"...my dad actually prayed for me in the car out loud that everything went smooth. Something i'm really grateful for. Anyway... I met Meng Jun just right there same place expecting Li Yu and Shi Ling to appear soon. Haha, stupid me...They were upstairs already... A few hi's and laughs....we all signed our names...and Li Yu found out we were quite close in birthdays ( I don't know if it's true). Then I saw a dear friend of mine marked TH (Tidak Hadir) ... and heard he did not come because want to work in Insurance Company...stupified...i started clumsily arranging my certs...I thought I can do it slowly, never thought I was among the first team members to enter. Tag No 2...oh no, the girl was like wanting to snatch my certs before I can rearrange them in the new order (different from the letter). I managed to drop my argh-duno-how-to-describe-my-"cuteness" IC into the folder and ran for the counter. Over-excited i guess, I did not take the piece of white paper...and the submission of my photostated certs... the lady seemed frustrated and smiled though... I thought we can enter as the team was all there... No one opened the door, and so I kepochi and "think-i-so-brave"ly volunteered...and then oh so embarassed when the lady called "Siapa suruh masuk?" (Hope they don't read this blog of mine, but I think they'll be very humoured and entertained by this :D

The piece of paper I almost forget to take...now thinking back...it's an important souvenir I almost MISSED!

OK, THE BIG THING - INTERVIEW!!!

We greeted them but I'm not sure whether they can hear my voice... So I greeted their other questions louder...which I do not mean at all to over-loud others. Everyone seemed friendly at their greetings. Beside me was a girl I knew but forgot name (Now I know it's Chien Li). Former Bible Class and Sunday School. On my left side was Shi Ling in her baju kurung...and then a very polite girl Cynthia, which the interviewers seemed to like her. She is very sincere too. And then it was Tini...another nice Malay girl who was the hope of her family. Her story fascinates me. And lastly a Malay boy who looks like my history teacher Encik Mahdi or like my best pal Afham. Everyone was friendly though all of us did felt we did bad a little, me inclusive. Racism wasn't there. It was the Malaysia I wanted...

We started off introducing ourselves according to number. I was not that satisfied as I forgot to re-greet them again. I just told them what my heart sincerely burning to tell. Perhaps I over do it. Or I did not. Humility mistaken for pride is hard to explain. Even right now. Then Cynthia did an awesome polite introduction and I was very amazed. Then the others seemed very friendly...not bongkak ones as I heard from other people. Thank God gave me friends instead of terrible enemies of competitors... everyone fought fot their courses in honour. Then come questions of why you choose that course and why you want to go your preferred country. I answered architecture and University of Melbourne. Others struggled with English, but I can see the enthusiasm and anxiousness. Well, who doesn't? Even I was shaking a little.

I admired Cynthia's response. Everyone too, I guess. She wants to be a dentist for children and her story of liking children interests me as I too have that interest (not paedophile kind k???) Wow, her dentistry story make me feel like brushing teeth...just like when teacher mentions about drinking water, you immediately start opening your bottle caps. And she wanted to go India. Wow, she sure love curry for sure. I don't care if it's a make-up story or to show her humbleness, but I would definitely like to have a friend who has such profound understanding of respecting cultures. Haha, then we were all asked whether we know how to cook. I say I was learning cooking from grandmother like her. And sincerely I am...just that my grandmother is rather old...I do hope I can be a pewaris of her famous dishes like the Baba-Nyonya rendang...

Then they asked what I did during the holidays after SPM. I told her I went to RBS. I don't care if it's against my chances of getting JPA. However, I felt I need to glorify God as He provided such a great school like RBS. Even if I don't get it, I'm sure God knows my heart and that's all that matter. Stupidity in man's eyes is wisdom in God's sight. And then I say I did other meaningful things for the future of my carier. I was sincere, but I don't know my tongue made me bongkak in front of others. I just hope it didn't. And I mention blogging and the lady interviewer asked if we have blogs. I was the only one. I just hope she doesn't think that I'm the typical pai ka chai who stays in front of computer all the day long with parents doing all my stuff and with no siblings to take care. Too bad I missed the chance of me being the hope of my family and how dear my family is. By God's will, hope she stumbles on this blog and read my acknowledgement for my family.

Oh, it's a long essay but just one hour of exciting new experience. No words can describe. I met many new found friends and now lost as time did allow me to get in touch with Chien Li only. God has been good  for all my interview experience I experience His presence and the joy of friendship. Every interview there was a brother or sister on the spot supporting me in prayer, be it Taylor's or CXIWE (Cathay Pacific) or JPA. God is great. Everything ended well in handshakes, laughter and even a meaningful talk with Tini, the Malay girl. Now I hope you enjoy my long essay here. For those who went already, this is a comfort to you all as some of you get bad experiences. For those who are going to, this is an encouragement to widen your perspective of life and on JPA. There aren't bad, just how you view it only. Always pray to God, calmness and optimism with follow. God does not guarantee success, but He will pull you through. He might have a better way for you after all.

As for me, I don't know if I'll get it. I messed it a little, but at least I won't have nightmare after this. Even if I don't get, that isn't the end of the world. I survived after getting B3 for Chinese and God will pull me through this. He will.

My wishful thinking of Melbourne

P.S. My notes to my fellow interviewees:

Some of the people mentioned on this post entry...too bad I forgot to bring a camera to snap a pic or two at JPA and my amazing team members...SORRY!!!

Thank you for making it a great experience for everyone and we became friends and not selfish competitors who do at all cost to get the JPA scholarship. This post is dedicated to you all. All here sincere words. ALL THE BEST TO YOU ALL. Chien Lee, hope you'll stay strong and keep in touch. Sorry and thank you for allowing me to speak first in the discussion. Shi Ling, you have been a great help and this is a starting point of friendship instead of acquaintance, I hope. Cynthia, your story inspires me and I thank you for that. Keep in touch and not worry too much. You did well. Tini, your story inspires me too. Hope your dreams of being the light and hope of your family come true. Thanks for sharing time with me in chatting before we left. And sorry the last person which the name is quite hard to pronounce and remember. Forgive my apparent bongkak-ness. Hope you can be a great doctor!

And friends, drop lotsa comments here!!!!

Now all that is left are some memories, a shut-downed computer and HOPE...