|  Home  |  Navigator  |  Writings  |  Photographs  |  Blogroller  |  The Tall Guy 2   |  

Sunday 25 May 2008

Of Reepicheeps and Peepiceeks

Having watched Prince Caspian on Friday, having seen Kok Thong on Saturday, Calvin is reminded of Reepicheep, the valiant High Mouse of Narnia, one of the cutest creature you’ve ever seen… (Reepicheep is so gonna kill me) and one of the most loyal creatures.

Reepicheep

[picture below]

[Oops sorry, non-accidental technical error, this one is the correct pic]

has always been my favourite character in The Chronicles of Narnia. And that scene of Reepicheep meeting Aslan without his tail was one of the most memorable…

Failing to see his tail, he strained his neck further till he had to turn his shoulders and his whole body followed, But by that time his hind-quarters had turned too and were out of sight. Then he strained his neck looking over his shoulders again with the same result. Only after he had turned completely round three times did he realize the dreadful truth.


But what do you want with a tail?” asked Aslan.

“Sir,” said the Mouse, “I can eat and sleep and die for my King without one. But a tail is the honor and glory of a Mouse.”

I have sometimes wondered, friend,” said Aslan, “whether you do not think too much about your honor.

“Highest of all High Kings,” said Reepicheep, “permit me to remind you that a very small size has been bestowed on us Mice, and if we did not guard our dignity, some (who weigh worth by inches) would allow themselves very unsuitable pleasantries at our expense. That is why I have been at some pains to make it known that no one who does not wish to feel this sword as near his heart as I can reach shall talk in my presence about Traps or Toasted Cheese or Candles: no, Sir – not the tallest fool Narnia!”

[A blueberry cheese cake that Kok Thong belanja-ed me]

“Why have your followers all drawn their swords, may I ask?” said Aslan.

“May it please your High Majesty,” said the second Mouse, whose name was Peepiceek, “we are all waiting to cut off our own tails if our Chief must go without his. We will not bear the shame of wearing an honor which is denied to the High Mouse.”

“Ah!” roared Aslan. “You have conquered me. You have great hearts. Not for the sake of your dignity, Reepicheep, but for the love that is between you and your people, and still more for the kindness your people showed me long ago when you ate away the cords that bound me on the Stone Table (and it was then, though you have long forgotten it, that you began to be Talking Mice), you shall have your tail again.”

[Extracted from The Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian, the Return to Narnia. Chapter 15 - Aslan Makes a Door in the air, emphasis mine.]

Not the tallest fool Narnia – that phrase really reminded me being tall is not everything and being short and small does not mean you don’t have dignity. This may not be that applicable, physically, haha, but perhaps figuratively speaking of those nobodys, inconspicuous streaks of existence in a vast, infinite Universe. Not everyone is born “tall” into fame and honor, I am one of the them, despite what you do to try to get it, you can’t. Science and Mathematics Society of SABS and I put in lots of hard work: try to do activities every week, every month try to make a big competition, running up and down all over the school to get people to join our activities. Oh those sacrificial time I persuaded people with talk and persuading myself not to study! What did that gained for me? Nothing. Absolutely nothing, sometimes even persecution from school authorities! 

Well, I am just a nobody. No recognition, no honour. Only the little yet meaningful encouragements from dear friends. Sometimes, I wonder if honor is everything to me. Most of the times it does. I sulked when I did not score 15A1s. I sulked after all my efforts, I did not get Tokoh Pelajar. I was rather proud, right? It was these moments that I begin to think of those people who don’t really care that if you got any achievements, but continuously encourage me to spur on. They are the “Peepicheek”s in my life, willing to cut down their tails for me.

Here I sincerely thank every one who encourage me to go on despite the barriers, especially to my committee members of Science and Maths Society.

People who are often “mice”, the inconspicuous nobodys, please be reminded of those who encouraged you. You might be small or short, but you can do great things, just like small mice eating up cords binding a mighty lion. It is not so much a matter you get honor for doing that, but for the love and kindness shown among your friends. Perhaps then you’ll be honored as one who loved his or her friends…

And happy birthday, Kok Thong! From your Peepiceeks…

So it’s ok to throw thy face at times for the sake of thy friends…wakakaka!